Q. How do I get an obituary?
San Jose Public Library offers free do-it-yourself obituary-searching options to California and out-of-state residents.
Four free do-it-yourself obituary searching options are available:
- San Jose residents and other customers can visit the King Library and conduct their own newspaper database and microfilm searches.
- Residents of other California cities should contact their local public library for assistance in obtaining free obituary searches via California State second-level reference networks.
- The Santa Clara County Library District provides a free, three per month, obituary/death notice search request service.
- Out-of-area customers can contact their closest public library with microfilm reading equipment and request the Interlibrary Loan of newspaper microfilm from the California State Library.
This SJPL blog entry provides tips to help you find an obituary using SJPL resources. The SJPL policy linked below may also provide more information about this type of search.
San Jose Public Library (SJPL)
- Chat with a Librarian
- Find a Branch Library
- Chat with a Tutor
- 5forU - Reading Recommendations
- Suggest Materials to Buy
- Dept. & Branch Managers
- SJPL Library Account
San Jose State University Library (SJSU)