Q. I got a new Kindle, but Amazon keeps sending my OverDrive books to my old one!
I got a brand new Kindle, but when I check out books from OverDrive, Amazon keeps sending them to my old Kindle. What can I do?
There are a few things you can do to fix this problem.
1. Change your default Kindle to your new device.
Go to www.amazon.com and sign into your account. Mouse over the "Accounts & Lists" menu and choose "Manage my Content & Devices". Once you're in "Manage My Content & Devices", you'll see three tabs across the top of the screen: "Your Content", "Your Devices", "Settings". Click on "Your Devices".
You will see a list of your Kindles, Kindle Apps, and Kindle Clouds. Next to one of them will be the words "Default Device" in orange letters. This is probably your old Kindle. If you want to make the new Kindle the default device, find it in the list and click on the box to the left of the name (it has ... in it). A box will pop up with information about the Kindle you've selected. You should see "Set as default device" near the bottom of the box. Click on it. A box will pop up telling you that the device you have selected will now be the first device in your list and the one to which deliveries are sent as default. You will have to agree. Now when you send items to your Kindle from OverDrive, they will automatically go to your new device.
2. Choose a different Kindle when you check out your book.
If you don't want to change your default device, you can just choose a different device when you collect your OverDrive book. After you have checked the book out and have been redirected to Amazon to "Get Library Book", look under the yellow button and choose a different Kindle or Kindle app from the drop down menu. Click on "Get Library Book" as usual.
3. Download book from your Kindle Library
If you have sent your Kindle book to the wrong device, you can still read it by going to your cloud library on the Kindle you prefer and tapping on the cover. The book should download to your device. If you don't see it in your cloud library, click on the "Sync" button to force your Kindle to check for library updates. Make sure that you are connected to wireless.
- This article needs updating and it would be helpful if it included how to manage your devices if, like me, you have never set a default device and have umpteem devices with different emails associated with them. How do I make sure all my old purchases are in one place and won't be lost when I delete the old devices?
- In regards to the comment, this article was from a library in regards to Overdrive. If you need help with your devices, use the help feature from your device (for example Amazon).
San José Public Library (SJPL)
- Chat with Us
( Español | Tiếng Việt | 中文 )
- Find a Branch Library
- Chat with a Tutor
- 5forU — Reading Recommendations
- Suggest Materials to Buy
- Department & Branch Managers
- SJPL Library Account
San José State Library (SJSU)