Q. How do I search the new SJPL catalog?
Searching in the new catalog is easier and more powerful than ever. To get started, click into the search box at the top right of the screen. Use the drop-down menu to choose what kind of search you want, type in a word or phrase, then click Search.
- Search results are ordered based on the best match. Popular titles appear ahead of less popular ones.
- Include words like the, a, and an to find the specific title you’re looking for. A search for “The Help” will get different results than “Help.”
- Start with a keyword search for a broad word like “puppies.” Use the options on the left side of the screen to narrow your search further. Scroll down to see all of your choices.
- Use Author or Subject searches if you’re not sure how to spell a word. The catalog will suggest terms as you type.
- Search by audience – adults, teens or children (kids). For example, “movies for kids” or “teen books.”
- If you want to delete a limit, click the red x next to it.
- A Tag search lets you look for items using simple words and phrases. Looking for a sad story or an inspiring movie? Choose Tag from the drop-down menu, then type in sad or inspiring (or coming of age, hysterical, or apocalyptic) and search. You can also use tag searches to find locations, themes, topics, fiction genres, and more.
- A List search helps you find lists of interesting items that other users have put together. Choose List from the drop-down menu and type in a subject, title or author you’re interested in. Try a List search for black history to find Black History Month lists.
You can Share interesting books, movies, CDs, and lists straight from the catalog to Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and dozens of other sites.
San José Public Library (SJPL)
- Chat with a Librarian
- Find a Branch Library
- Chat with a Tutor
- 5forU — Reading Recommendations
- Suggest Materials to Buy
- Dept. & Branch Managers
- SJPL Library Account
San José State Library (SJSU)